Daventry Town Football Club works with Commonwealth Game Bowls Medalist
Written by RADio Newsdesk on August 22, 2019
Article Published on Thursday August 22, 2019 12:19 AM by RADio Newsdesk
- Daventry News - Daventry Town Football Club works with Commonwealth Game Bowls Medalist
Newly Promoted Daventry Town Football Club works with Commonwealth Game Bowls Medalist and the #1 Player in the world on the Short Mat Players Tour to help prepare for the 2019/20 season
A medal-winning member of England’s Commonwealth Games bowls team is coming back to Daventry and District to share his passion for Bowls and football. David Bolt “Bolty”, an avid Sunderland supporter and a member of the lawn bowls men’s fours who won bronze on the Gold Coast, will spend time promoting “the great game of bowls” and meeting footballers in a series of activities supported by Stonhills Estate Agents, Northamptonshire Sport, bowlsDaventry and Daventry District Council. In his native North East, “Bolty” is a legend and even has his own blog http://cityofsunderlandibc.co.uk/bolt.htmland has just announced his retirement from International Bowls.
In addition local lad Ed Sawbridge “Ed” #1 on the www.shortmatplayerstour.com is keen to repeat his victory over “Bolty” on the “Short Mat” AND to defeat “Bolty” in the longer “Lawn Bowls” version both indoors and outdoors (weather permitting) in a series of challenges in an “Olympic Style” “Tri-cathalon” of bowls.
The weeks activities are planned to include bowls activities at a number of local clubs, each event is an “Open Free” event to everyone to come along, to talk bowls and get free coaching, and watch and play in “various exhibition matches.
– Thursday 12 September from 11.30am to 1.30pm at Daventry Indoor Bowls Club where Sue Pernyes President is looking forward to welcoming David back and making the excellent facilities available to the bowlsDAVENTRY team again https://www.daventryeagles.co.uk/
– Thursday 12 September from 2pm to 6pm at Daventry Town Bowls Club, next to the Rugby Club on Western Avenue, when Duggie Mitchel Chairman & Director of Disability Bowls England is looking forward to meeting “Bolty” and Ed and host them in 2 of the events in the “Olympic Style Tri-cathalon of bowls”.
We are keen to meet as many bowlers in the county as possible, so if there are any clubs in Northamptonshire who would like a visit from the “bowlsDAVENTRY” team–
Being an avid football fan David is looking forward to visiting our own “Purple Army” to exhibit his own football skills as well as meeting the DTFC manager Arron Parkinson and the team. David is keen to pass on his some of his experience and approach to being a successful bowler to help “our boys” to adapt to this higher league following a successful 2018/19 which saw the 1st team gain promotion to ‘Southern League Central Division 1’ as Champions of the “UCL Premier League” and “United Counties League Cup” winners.
The event at Daventry Town is free and is planned to include, subject to change due to availability,
– a disco hosted by “Robert Palser” of World Series Bowls famewww.worldseriesbowls.co.uk
– live music from our own local “Rock ‘n’ Roll Bowler” https://www.maxxmilner.com/
– a footballer vs bowler ‘Olympic Style’ “how far can yours go” challenge with hopefully our own Daventry MP & football referee “Chris Heaton Harris” referring this who has been https://www.heatonharris.com/news/bowls-daventry-project a keen and appreciated support of bowlsDAVENTRY from the start.
– meet the Manager and some members of “The Purple Army” to talk bowls, football and joining “The Purple Army” or one of our excellent local Bowls Clubs.
The event is being organised by Mark Courtney, Chief Executive of local Company “Boul Traders Limited” with the aim to build on previous years Bowls Development work to support the work at local Bowls clubs to attract new bowlers especially junior bowls, ladies bowls and disability bowlers.
Mark Courtney, said: “These events in the past to promote bowls in our area have far exceeded our expectations. They have given hundreds of bowls players and non-players alike an opportunity play bowls AND with the inclusion of ‘The Purple Army’ this time is great to work together with Daventry Town Football club and allow Daventry to get back to its previous ‘Daventry Calling’ days to call out to the world and say ‘Lets work together across different sports to promote a better more heathy world for us and future generations to live in’.
Steve Tubb Chairman of Daventry Town Football Club says, “taking part in community events with Bowls Daventry is exactly what the club is about . Not only does it promote different sport disciplines it also shows what Daventry has to offer and encourages people to come along and support the local sports clubs.”
Councillor Alan Hills, Community, Culture and Leisure Portfolio Holder at Daventry District Council said: “It’s great to see our local clubs working together to promote sporting activity in Daventry District. As a District council we support all kinds of sports and I would encourage people to come along to these open events and find out more about how to get involved in bowls.”
For more information find @BowlsDaventry on Twitter or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Photo of Daventry Town Football Club works with Commonwealth Game Bowls Medalist | All Text and Images are the Copyright property of RADio Newsdesk unless otherwise stated above. Where the Copyright ownership does not sit with RADio Newsdesk the text and images are used under the creative commons and fair use frameworks with the relevant credits offered.