Election Special: Interview With Lib Dem Candidate Andrew Simpson
Written by Steve Edwards on November 19, 2019
Article Published on Tuesday November 19, 2019 9:56 PM by Steve Edwards
- Daventry News - Election Special: Interview With Lib Dem Candidate Andrew Simpson
Lib Dem Candidate Andrew Simposon came in to Daventry Radio last week and spoke to Steve Edwards about his prospective bid to become the MP for Daventry. We put some tough questions to him as well as trying to find out a bit more about Andrew as a person.
Later this week, Paul Joyce, the Labour candidate, will be coming in to speak to us and that interview podcast should go live at 7pm Sunday evening.
Here are just some of the points we covered with our Lib Dem hopeful:
- A little about your background – how did you get into politics – what did you do for a living?
- You stood for Northampton North at the previous 2005, 2010 and the ‘snap election’ in 2017. How did you do?
- How do the sums stack up this time around? How many votes do you need to win in Daventry and where will they come from?
- Many of the vox pop pieces on TV show that the voting public are more disillusioned with politicians – especially members of parliament – than ever before. What can you say or do to win the voters of Daventry round? And how will you be aiming to get more people to the ballot box?
- What about local issues? What local ‘needs’ do you see at the top of the priority list at the moment?
- The Lib Dem manifesto is extremely sparse at the moment – when can we expect more meat-on-the-bone as far as what Daventry will get from you – if you get elected – and what the country would get from the Lib Dems?
- Jo Swinson: Is she really PM material?
- Do you think the British public were wrong to vote to leave the EU?
- Do you think your views – the party’s views – should trump the views of the majority that voted to leave?
- What information do you have that tells you that the voting majority in this election whether it be in Daventry or the UK as a whole – will vote Lib Dem because they don’t want Brexit?
- As usual, each party will be attempting to ‘buy’ some of its votes by saying they’ll put cash in voters pockets. You are promising to plough money into education but what about other big issues – arguably more critical ones – such as Policing and the NHS?
- Convince me now, why I should vote for you as a Lib Dem candidate fighting on a ticket that’s flying the Stop Brexit banner.
Desert Island Disk questions:
- Favourite books – non-fiction and fiction.
- Favourite film
- Most recent cinema/theatre visit?
- Favourite place to eat out?
- Favourite bands/music/genre?
- Favourite holiday destination(s) – domestic & abroad?
- Politicians – living or dead that you’d most like to have dinner with?
Photo of Election Special: Interview With Lib Dem Candidate Andrew Simpson | All Text and Images are the Copyright property of Steve Edwards unless otherwise stated above. Where the Copyright ownership does not sit with Steve Edwards the text and images are used under the creative commons and fair use frameworks with the relevant credits offered.