Local Woodturners Club Ready For 2020 Club Nights
Written by Steve Edwards on January 10, 2020
Article Published on Friday January 10, 2020 12:05 AM by Steve Edwards
- Daventry News - Local Woodturners Club Ready For 2020 Club Nights
(Above picture: club committee member Gerald Hubbard demonstrates on a new club lathe)
Local woodturners from West Northants Woodturners will be holding their first meeting of the new year at Weedon Village Hall Wednesday (15th January) and are sending out an invitation to anyone who wants to come along and see how things go.
The evening will see a demonstration from expert woodturner Marcus Buck who has demonstrated for the club previously and “always proved to be interesting and informative”, according to club chairman Mick Denton. Mick added, “We want people of all ages and abilities to come along and get inspired about woodturning.”
The club has about 50 members of varying skill levels from absolute beginners upwards and (from February) they will meet regularly on the first and third Wednesday of each month from 7.00pm to 9.30pm in Weedon Village Hall. The club also has a Facebook page here.
Club members being given ‘hands on’ advice by the club experts.
Asked about the Weedon club meetings Mick replied, “As a club we try to encourage turners to improve their skills and also to be more involved with the events that the club organises.” He added, “Our usual meeting format is for a guest turner, or one of our members, to demonstrate their skills whilst entertaining and informing the audience.”
Club members watch on as member Adrian demonstrates his skills.
The club also holds regular “Hands On” meetings, where members are able to take part using one of the club’s lathes to gain practical experience. Meetings also include a drinks and biscuits break and on the first Wednesday of the month the club have an open competition where members can show their recent work and compete for the ‘Turner of the Year’ prize.
This years programme:
- 15th January Marcus Buck
- 5th February Three Musketeers & February Competition
- 19th February Gregory Moreton
- 4th March Geoff Warr & March Competition
- 18th March Gary Rance
- 1st April Les Thorne & April Competition
- 15th April Colin Smith
- 6th May Three Imposters & May Competition
- 20th May Emma Cook aka “The Tiny Turner”
- 3rd June Paul Hannaby & June Competition
- 17th June To Be Advised
- 1st July Richard Findley & July Competition
- 15th July To Be Advised
- 5th August To Be Advised & August Competition
- 19th August Three Musketeers
- 2nd September Roger Gilbert & September Competition
- 16th September Geoff Warr
- 7th October To Be Advised & October Competition
- 21st October To Be Advised
- 4th November To Be Advised & November Competition
- 18th November The Three Imposters
- 2nd December To Be Advised & December Competition
- 16th December CHRISTMAS Social Evening
Photo of Local Woodturners Club Ready For 2020 Club Nights | All Text and Images are the Copyright property of Steve Edwards unless otherwise stated above. Where the Copyright ownership does not sit with Steve Edwards the text and images are used under the creative commons and fair use frameworks with the relevant credits offered.